Nicolai Eigtved, Fredensborg Palace
In 1753 Nicolai Eigtved extended the palace by adding four symmetrically-positioned corner pavilions with copper pyramid-shaped roofs to the main building.
Danish architect and leading proponent of the French rococo style in Denmark Nicolai Eigtved was born in 1701 in Egtved village in Skjoldenæsholms Birk on the island of Zealand. Eigtved was trained as a gardener and working at the Frederiksberg Palace Gardens in 1720. In 1723 he travelled to Berlin and Dresden. In 1725 he went to Warsaw, Poland where he started to work for the German master builder Matthäus Daniel Pöppelmann (1662-1736) who got him a position in the Saxon-Polish Engineer Corps. Between 1732 and 1735 Eigtved educated himself in civil architecture in Italy. After this he visited Vienna and Munich where he discovered the rococo style created by the Belgian-born Bavarian decorative designer and architect François de Cuvilliés (1695-1768). In 1751 Eigtved became the first director of the the Royal Danish Academy of Art. Nicolai Eigtved died in 1754 in Copenhagen. Notable buildings designed by Nicolai Eigtved are the Frederik's Church
, Fredensborg Palace
and Christian VIII's Palace