Matvey Fyodorovich Kazakov, Tsaritsyno Park
Tsaritsyno Park was purchased by Catherine the Great in 1775, between 1776 and 1785 architect Vasili Bazhenov built a palace there. After inspection Catherine the Great did not like the palace and in 1786 plans by Matvey Kazakov, to build a new palace were approved.
Russian Neoclassical architect Matvey Fyodorovich Kazakov was born in Moscow in 1738. In 1750 Kazakov started to study at the architectural school of Dmitry Ukhtomsky (1719–1774). When he was 30 he started to work with Vasili Bazhenov (1737-1799) on the Great Kremlin Palace project. Kazakov was a influential Muscovite architect during the reign of Catherine the Great (1762-1796). Most of Kazakov’s buildings were destroyed by the Fire of Moscow in 1812.